Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Will my marriage be legal if I am married by an Officiate and not an Ordained Minister?

What is the difference between an Officiate and an Ordained Minister?





We want to marry on the beach in Alabama and it says that an Officiate will marry us but for a larger fee an Ordained Minister will marry us. Now I am worried that it won't be legal....Will my marriage be legal if I am married by an Officiate and not an Ordained Minister?
Officiate is just another name for ordained clergy person - minister, rabbi, priest, etc. It's legal if the person is ordained and the completed marriage license is turned into the courthouse.Will my marriage be legal if I am married by an Officiate and not an Ordained Minister?
Yes, it's legal. If the Officiate is licensed by the state then they can legally perform the ceremony and sign and file the marriage license. If you belong to a strict religion, THEY may not recognize the marriage, but in the eyes of the law, you are legally wed.
In Alabama marriage can be performed by Licensed ministers or pastors of recognized religious societies, and current or retired Alabama judges. Make sure that whoever marries you have state license.

No comments:

Post a Comment