Saturday, January 23, 2010

If marriage seems to have so many negative connotations, why do people still get married?

You hear it all the time about how marriage starts to suck after x amount of years. And you also see how married people around you behave.





But for some unexplained reason, most people still believe marriage is the way to go.





Why?If marriage seems to have so many negative connotations, why do people still get married?
Because there are exceptions. Everyone knows a couple who are happy in their 60s, 70s, even 90s. We all like to think that we too can be like them.


I plan to keep mine happy- I learned what NOT to do in my crappy 1st marriage, and I found a far better man!If marriage seems to have so many negative connotations, why do people still get married?
Marriage has negative connotations from people who have no clue.


Granted, people get married because they ';love'; each other, but when it comes right down to it, marriage has a lot more to do with mutual respect than love. Its about being best friends and trusting the other. Its about being at your worst and still knowing your partner for life is there for you. Its better than any buddy movie or chick flick you can imagine. Its a mutual partnership you share with another person. That's all it is, for better/for worse, through sickness/health. Its not some magic thing. Its the beginning of hard work and not for the weak of heart or mind.
It depends on the people who are getting married. People now a days are getting married way too soon in their relationship or they're the teens who get pregnant and marry their baby's daddy because they think that is their only option. The reason some marriages have problems and others don't is because some people don't wait for the right person and just get married to tell people that they're married. Some girls do it because they don't want to be an old maid.
I have been married for nineteen years and we have defiantly had our good times and our rough times. Marriage is what you make of it, how much you put into it. It's about giving all of yourself, making yourself vulnerable at times, it teaches you how to put someone else's needs and wants above your own at times. It's about unconditional love. Excepting your spouse for who they are, and that means all the bad things as well as the good. Divorce makes it so easy for people to just quit. That's the easy way out. Nothing worth while is easy or easily obtained. Marriage takes teamwork. The problem no a days is no one really thinks about those vows you say to each other anymore.
I think marriage is different for everyone.


Myself, I have only been married for a little over 1 year, but we had been together for 10 years previously. The thing is, marriage is NOT easy, and its not always a fairy tale. My hubby %26amp; I fight sometimes, but even when we went through some rough patches we dealt with it, talked it over, and got through it. I cannot imagine life without him, just like I couldn't imagine life without my 7 yr old.


I know people that have great marriages, and I know people who have crap marriages. Its all about what you put into it, not what you take out of it.


I also think too many people who are married give up too easily when they start to ';drift'; from their partner.


On the flip side, I have seen several friends get married for all the wrong reasons, and therefore are not happy.


Marriage isn't for everyone, but for me its for life.
Some people are actually happily married. Some people chose wisely and so are enjoying their years together instead of being bitter because they were foolish in their youth. But that's just some people. You can't generalize marriage. Nobody's marriage is the same as anyone else's.





Some people just like to complain. So you might only be hearing what annoys them about marriage without ever hearing the things they love about being married.
I wonder the same exact thing myself.... especially those who have married 2, 3, 5 times.... I mean, they're just retards, sorry to be harsh but it's true. As the 1st poster said, I don't need to be married to live with the person I love, AND to be happy AND to be committed. Unfortunately society imposes a certain POV on most people and they marry because ';that's what things should be like'; and what the ';right thing to do'; is. I've read here a lot of people saying that, if a man doesn't want to marry a woman, it means he doesn't love her enough to make a long-life committment, to take the risk of tying the knot and building a family, and thus is not willing to take her seriously and will surely dump her after the 1st difficulty they have. This is ridiculous. Men get married and they still cheat and stray all the time.... so much for a committment!! Like the damn paper is going to make him keep it in his pants. NOT.





It's very true that marriage is a lot of work, but so is ANY relationship if you really want it to work. Unfortunately some people see marriage as something that will give them ';safety'; and companionship, because they don't feel financially secure by themselves or because they hate being alone. These are already BAD reasons to get married... but people do it anyway because they feel this is ';less bad'; than being alone or having less $$$. I feel sorry for that people... they engage in unhappy marriages that after a few years they're crazy to get out from. Or maybe not.... and they just accept to live miserable lives. Pathetic. I'd rather be happy with the man I love and live with, for as long as it lasts, than being miserable in a marriage just because that's what I'm expected to do and then have a nasty divorce. No thanks, I'm happy the way I am!
Because not all married couples are miserable. My parents have had their ups and downs, but they have enough love and loyalty to work through the downs and enjoy the ups. They've been married over 30 years. I think that people aren't realistic about marriage, and rush into things without being aware of what they are getting into. Those same people are the ones that aren't willing to put in an effort to make things work when they get tough.





Marriage is not negative, people are.
The first two years are the hardest. I've been married for 7 months, and it's rough. We lived together before hand, and everything was perfect. We had the best relationship. Once you get married and realize OMG, I have to live with this person for the rest of my life, so start noticing little things. Like how he leaves the cabinet doors open, or how he leaves the toilet seat up. Things like that drive people crazy, start little fights, and it escalades. You just have to remember to talk about things, if you get mad [which will happen], walk away, calm down, and come back when you can talk reasonably. You also have to remember that he needs his time and you need yours. So plan a day every so often where you go off with your girls and he goes off with his guys.
People change over time, their needs and desires change and seems couples do not go through their personality changes at the same time. Marriage is a Beautiful union of love between two people but they have to have understanding and strength to keep it going. So marry for the wrong reasons but it impossible that you will get along with a person that you share so much with each and every day. Keeping the flame going to prevent the marriage from sucking after x years.
When people get married, I highly doubt that while they are saying their * I do's* that they are actually planning the * I don't*





Some people are really in love when they get married, but people and circumstances change. Some people start to abuse drugs and or alcohol. Some begin to abuse, emotionally, verbally, mentally and or sexually. There are many factors. I admire the ones that still love each other and stay until death do they part.





I just couldn't do it.
Well first of all, despite all the ups and downs of any relationship, not just marriage, I love being married to my husband. We have made a commitment to each other. We will be there for each other until the end. End of what? Our relationship or our lives, whichever comes first. True, we did live together before we got married and many people ask why we got married instead of just staying living together. Because although we were there for each other every day while living together, there was something missing in our relationship. He actually started calling me his wife before he ever proposed to me. He saw how that made my eyes light up and he wanted that for me. He wanted to give me his last name. He wanted me to know, without any doubt in my mind whatsoever that he was mine until ';the end.'; That's why I got married. I don't know why anyone else does it, but that's why I did it. And I don't regret it for a second. I love him dearly.
There are a few married couples who are happy in their relationship, for example my boyfriend's parents. Boyfriend is 25 and his brothers are in late 30's..their parents are STILL together to this day and no plans to go separate ways at all.





About a year after marriage people stop working on it, I know I'll never marry..I'm too complicated LOL I don't have to marry to live with a guy.
Indoctrination, think of it as a war, men who face a battle, know, many will be killed or injured, but always hope, it won't be them.


Most likely, men and women, who marry, with the odds about fifty fifty, feel they will be in the fifty percent who survive marriage.
Because some still love eachother the same after that x amount of years. I strive to have the marriage my parents have. They have been married for almost 19 years and still love eachother like the day they met.
only if I was married to you, would I think marriage sucks.... in fact, just seeing your ugly mug on YA makes me think life in general sucks.





Please... put a bag over that thing so the rest of us don't get nauseous.
Marriage does not have negative connotations,,,it is the people IN the marriage that have negative connotations
They hope that they are not the 1 out of every two that get divorced. They love the other person and believe that they will beat the odds.
Now this sounds like the real georgio... I'm starting to believe that georgio from yesterday was an impostor... there have been so many lately... what a shame when people are so bord that they have to impersonate others on this site!
Mine started to suck from the beginning but there is that other greater force I cannot say no to.
Either for money or they think that their love is so deep that it can withstand all troubles. I somewhat feel that way and I'm getting married next summer.
She is jealous as hell, but everything else is great.
Financial well being perhaps?
Hey greaseball, there is only room for ONE loser at a time on these boards, and I was here FIRST!
Marriage is what you make it. Its right and its moral!
Because we are all suckers!!!
cuz they dont think it will happen to them
cuz we r stupid!!..

No comments:

Post a Comment