Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'm an American and married a Canadian in 2006. How should I file with the IRS-jointly or seperately? Why?

I made about $40K in 2006. She's an artist making about $6000 of reportable income. She's also concerned about losing her health benefits in Canada.





Thanks.I'm an American and married a Canadian in 2006. How should I file with the IRS-jointly or seperately? Why?
Depends a lot on if she has a social security number or an ITIN number. and,, if she lives in the U.S. or still lives in Canada. Without a lot of info, it is hard to tell how you can file. Is the $6,000. she made from a U.S. source or did that income come from Canada?


I'll send a couple of links to IRS web site with some good reading on the subject.I'm an American and married a Canadian in 2006. How should I file with the IRS-jointly or seperately? Why?
I can't comment about effects for Canada, but for US taxes, it is in your best interest to file MFJointly for the lowest tax. Canadian citizens can apply for an ITIN if not allowed to get an SSN.








You definitely do NOT want to file MFS.





--A Damn Fine Tax Advisor
Complicated question and I'd hesitate to take any advice you get on this forum. After all, what are the chances that the responder is an expert in US and Canadian taxation and benefit issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment