Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is it ok to get married three months after my sister?

I have my heart set on a December wedding and would like to get married December 2009. I don't want to wait two years for many reasons. My sister is getting married September 2009. I'm very good about keeping the two events separate, letting her bridal shower be here and my shower mine, etc. It's not an issue of money, but for reasons of etiquette is it appropriate? Is it ok to get married three months after my sister?
I agree with all the common sense answers here...wonderful to see so many.





The length of you engagement is not based on the length of anyone elses' including your sister, nor does the first engaged mean they have to be the first to marry....the wedding date set by the couple is personal to them.....period and NO ONE has a say in it. They deterine the length of their own engagement and it does not revolve around the engagement of any other couple.





however,





consideration should be given if the placement of any wedding date on a calendar proves a hardship to guests...sure there will be a handful who cannot make it but if it's a matter of only being able to afford one or the other because of how close they are scheduled, that should be the only consideration as far as other people are concerned....good luck.Is it ok to get married three months after my sister?
As far as etiquette cares, you could be married the next day.





Etiquette only requires that you not hold your wedding so soon after your sister's that your guests aren't able to attend both weddings if they wish. By ';close'; I mean within 24 hours if in different locations in the same city, within 48 hours if in different cities in the same country. Three months is more than enough unless your family has to mush via sled-dogs to the other church.





In fact, it would be in the worst possible etiquette for her to even voice a whisper about it, because it would come across as her wanting to be the sole centre of attention for the entire year. She doesn't have that right.





Edit because I don't write so good sometimes.
My sister got married 3 months after I did, I was married in Jan. 1988, she was married in April. This past year, my youngest 2 sisters were married 3 months apart, 1 in January and the other in April. They both liked the idea of marrying 20 years almost to the day that their older sisters got married.





I would talk to your mom about it and see how she feels about having 2 of her daughters marry so close together. You might need to be prepared for her to wear the same dress to both weddings, or something along those lines. That's what my mom did with me and my sister, this past year she did buy 2 separate dresses though.





But there is absolutely no breach of etiquette if you marry 3 months after your sister. She gets a wedding day, not a wedding year. Same goes for you.





Best wishes to you both, and congrats!
I know exactly what you mean. I was engaged before my little sister, and right after I got engaged, she did too. AND they asked me what date I was setting and then set it 3 months before mine.





She is always trying to out-do me, and compete with me. Talk about me feeling like someone was trying to steal my thunder, lol. I was a bit upset about it, but now since both our weddings are over, Not to sound conceited or anything, but I'm glad mines was after hers because my wedding was SO gorgeous and thought-out and you could tell she peiced hers together and it did not look as good.





The 3 month space should be fine, like the other poster said, but you do want to keep in mind how long the relationships have been, who's been engaged longer, etc. etc. I personally think it's polite to let the person who had the longest relationship or longest engagement go first, within a reasonable time period of course. But it depends on the relationship with the both of you.
It's a rather tricky question. I would say it all depends on your situation. I would wait, just becuase I wouldn't want to take the spotlight away from her or yourself.





First, take into account who was engaged first and the length of your relationships prior to engagement. I think that makes a difference I guess as far as ';being fair'; is concerned. Really, you want to talk to your sister about it. Let her know what you really want and see what she feels about it.





Also consider family that may have to travel for both weddings- will it effect many people? Hope that helps a little at least!
If your heart is set, definitely go for it. Your weddings are not the same month, I think that would be inappropriate. 3 months apart is fine. I got married in July last year and my brother got married 3 months later in October. There were no problems at all.
You can get married the following DAY if you wanted to. There is no etiquette on this. Having the wedding a couple of months apart is great so that you and she don't feel like you have to compete.
I personally would have no problem with it and think it's totally reasonable. However, there are a lot of selfish, jealous brats out there who would greatly disagree.
I'd say there's nothing wrong with it at all! 3 months is a decent interval, and it wouldn't make any sense at all to put off your wedding another year just to make the weddings further apart.
I don't see a problem with it, but ask your sister if she thinks it would be stealing her thunder! I think that the only problem would be if you chose to have it before hers!
Yes, it is fine. Have any showers etc. after her wedding is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment