Monday, May 10, 2010

How would you address a lady in a letter which is single or about to be married?

If she is single is it Miss?How would you address a lady in a letter which is single or about to be married?
In a social situation then Miss is generally correct. This assumes that she has never been married.





In a business situation then Ms is assumed.





Neither of these hold if the young lady in question prefers another courtesy title. (My sister, never married, prefers Ms).How would you address a lady in a letter which is single or about to be married?
Stick with Ms. Men have no title that identifies their marital status, they're Mr regardless of the situation. What should females have to be singled out as spinsters or matrons? Only ever use Miss or Mrs if somebody expressly asks you to. Anyone referring to me as Mrs after my wedding will be steadfastly ignored.
Miss is for a single lady, Mrs for a married. I was always under the impression that Ms was used for a divorced lady but I could be wrong.
It's Miss, however, I think if a woman is over the age of 30 and is single, she should be addressed as Ms. (but that is totally my opinion).
Miss before they are married, Mrs after the wedding.


Anything else is reserved for previously married women or those women living with a male and not married.
I would just say Ms. then it works out eather ways.





If she is married and you put Miss then she'll most likely get mad BUT if you put Mrs. on and she isn't married then she'll get even more mad.





My advice: stick with Ms.
If she is unmarried, then Miss. If her status is unknown, then Ms is acceptable.
Married = Mrs


Single = Miss





However, the acceptable alternative now is: Ms. for ALL situations
You can either use Miss or Ms. I actually think Miss makes it sound like someone is a little girl so I prefer Ms.
It is Miss if she is young. It is Ms. if she is older. Miss implies a young maid...Ms is the proper term if she is in her later 30's or older. It would never be appropriate to call a more mature woman Miss.
single is miss, married is mrs. but since she isnt married yet, its miss
Yes its Miss, unless she is an older woman and goes under the title of Ms.
Miss.
I agree with Blushing. Use Ms. unless it is a young single girl, only then do you use Miss.
  • wet eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment